New Resident to Canada
U.S. DRIVING INSURANCE INFORMATION
In an effort to obtain the best possible automobile insurance rates for your family, we will require:
- A letter of experience from your U.S. automobile insurance carrier outlining your family’s insurance history over the last 6
- Driver’s abstract reports from your resident State License Bureau outlining the last 3 years of driving experience for all
drivers in your household.
NOTE: In order to obtain your Ontario driver’s license, the driver abstract reports will be required to support the number of
years that you were an actual licensed driver in the U.S. The original driver abstract reports (NOT a photocopied or a faxed
copy) are required. *** If you have moved from one State to another, it may be necessary for you to contact your previous
residence state license bureau in order to obtain your insurance as well as your driver abstract reports in order to secure
enough years of history *** If you are planning on bringing your vehicle with you into Canada you must:
- Contact Canada Customs in order to be informed of the appropriate safety standards required
- Contact Canada Customs to inquire which duty fees will apply.
Complete a Canadian Emissions Test that can be done at any Drive Clean centre. For more information see www.ene.gov.on.ca/cons/371706.htm
***After all of these steps are completed, you will be eligible to apply for Ontario license plates ***
PERSONAL PROPERTY INSURANCE
If you are planning on obtaining personal property insurance, we will require:
- A letter of experience from your prior home insurance carrier outlining your insurance and loss history over the past 5 years.
Residents of provinces outside of Ontario
If you are a resident of Alberta, British Columbia, Nova Scotia or another province other than Ontario in Canada, you can
contact Waterloo Insurance directly for about your group insurance plan: